Roof Cleaning Services
Improve your roofs lifespan and kerb appeal with our range of roof cleaning services
Roof Cleaning / Moss Removal / Softwash
Bedford Window Cleaning specialise in Roof Deep Cleaning to remove all moss and debris that has built up on your roof.
We have a tried and tested method of cleaning your roof and removing all the moss, we have the ability and experience to clean all domestic and commercial roofs safely using a combination of MEWP (Mobile Elevated Work Platforms) and scaffold towers.
We ensure all works are being carried out to strict safety standards.
We have extensive experience and to date (November 2021) have transformed over 350 roofs across Bedfordshire and beyond travelling as far as London, Oxford and Cambridge and beyond!
We offer our services to both commercial and domestic customers.
Why get your Roof Cleaned?
- Removes the cause of blocked gutters/down pipes. Moss growth is often brought up on property surveys as a cause of water ingress into the property. As roof moss becomes a constant source of debris clogging up the gutters causing the water to overflow, into areas it should not be flowing, it is therefore important to control its growth.
- Cracked Tiles, moss is often the cause of cracked roof tiles when the growths cover the tiles and then it rains and the moss is saturated if it freezes it can cause the tiles to crack. As well as causing tiles to be lifted out of position when. growing in the vertical bond.
- This process makes the roof look clean and presentable, this is important if you want the exterior of your property looking it’s best, and/or your trying to sell your property to prospective buyers.
- Weight: The average roof we clean fills a 1 tonne builders merchant bag full of moss and other debris, this is a significant load on the structure of your property, especially when it rains and the moss soaks up and holds water.
- Less Mess: If you have moss growths on your roof you will know that throughout the year it will fall/ get blown by the wind around your property becoming unsightly and require long constant clean-up.
- Prevention: We apply a prevention Biocide which continues working for around 12 months after we have left your property, this means your roof will stay cleaner for longer, then all we recommend is having it re-treated with Biocide ever 3-4 years depending where you live at a fraction of the cost of a roof clean. This also takes care of the more stubborn growths like Lichen & Algae.
We now offer our roof cleaning in 3 different packages, from standard moss removal and prevention treatment, to the ultimate exterior cleaning package.
You can expect that the natural colour of your roof tiles will be revived to a very high standard (See Results Below). This happens instantly after cleaning and continues to improve with the biocide treatment over the next 6-12 months, progress will show from around 14 days after application.
How do we do it?
- We start by conducting a site survey of your roof and property to identify safe access and the condition of the roof so we can provide a quotation, this is usually conducted in person.
- On the date of our visit we begin by putting tarpaulins around your property to catch all of the moss we scrape from your roof.
- We then erect scaffold towers so that we have safe vantage point from which to scrape the moss from your roof. This removes any need for us to walk on your roof tiles, the only reason we would need to get on your roof is if there is a special access requirement that cannot be mitigated with a safer approach. In which case roofing ladders would be used or MEWP (Mobile Elevated Work Platforms) if that is not suitable. This would all be discussed during the quotation stage of the process.
- Now that we have our safe work environment established we begin scraping the moss from your roof using special profiled scrapers that are attached to telescopic poles to reach even the most difficult parts of your roof. We can reach up-to 50ft in some cases from the safety of our scaffold towers. We also use wire brushes for the ridge and lips of the tiles to ensure we remove all of the moss. This process removes 99% of the moss from the roof and which is left is too small to scrape and is well below the threshold for what the biocide will comfortable take care of during its exfoliation process.
- Once the moss removal process is complete, we vacuum clear all of the gutters and downpipes to ensure they are all clear and functioning properly, we visually check these prior to starting the next part of the process. All of the moss is removed and bagged up to be safely composted to ensure it isn’t sent to landfill.
- At this stage if you have picked our gold service package we move onto a low pressure steam process, to gently remove the biofilm embedded in to the roof tiles this is a delicate process which causes no damage to the coating on the tiles compared to cold water power washing. This process removed the discolouring effect caused by dirt and biofilm on the surface of the tiles leaving them in their best possible condition. This process is completely optional but does deliver superb results.
- Now the roof is ready to be treated. We treat your roof as part of all our roof cleaning packages and comes as standard. We believe this is the most important part of the process protecting your investment in having your roof cleaned, by preventing re-growth. We brush in biocide which is pumped under low pressure from our vans which have special Dosatron mixing equipment which ensures exacting mix ratios are applied consistently across your roof. The brush in method allows us to get the best dwell time as our brushes use fan jets and instantly create a foam that sticks to the tiles ensuring minimal run-off.
- The biocide soaks deep into the biological structures on the roof. Biofilm is a collection of microbial communities enclosed by a matrix of extra cellular substances adhering to natural and man-made surfaces. Such as Green Algae, Black Algae, Liverwots, Mould, Moss, Lichens & Bactria. The biocide process works over a period of 12 months gradually exfoliating the roof times and removing the Biofilm, if you haven’t opted for our Gold package then you will get similar results from this process over the 12 months. The reason why we also apply the biocide with our gold package is to ensure that any biofilm you cannot see is still removed.
- Once the Biocide process has done its work not only will you have a nice clean looking roof. Your roof will be back to a biological start point, so if your wondering how long till there is re-growth, then this will be similar to how long the tiles took to form the biological growths in the first place. Usually most properties can expect no re-growth for several years before it becomes noticeable, Others it can be shorter periods of time. This can be affected by the architectural features of a property or the environment around if you have lots of leaf fall, the breakdown of these will feed any biological growth.We guarantee that our biocide process will do its work and if after 12 months since our visit you are not satisfied then we will re-treat if required. In over 500 roof cleans we have only had a handful that have needed a top-up treatment.
- On-going maintenance we will recommend to you an appropriate period of time before a maintenance treatment is needed for your property. This ongoing service is to protect your initial investment in having your roof cleaned, a re-treatment costs a fraction of the price of the initial roof clean as all that is required is an application of the biocide treatment to take care of any biofilm growth before it takes hold forming biological structures like Moss and Algae. Generally we recommend this around 3-5 years after a roof clean a typical cost for this is between £150 – £300 for a standard domestic property. As part of a maintenance visit we inspect the roof and gutters and carryout a full gutter/ downpipe clearance.